13 February 2008

Our real purpose

I received an email this week from another OMS Missionary. To say the least it had a major impact on me. I'll let her tell you why.....

......Last night my friend Katie died of an aneurysm. She and her husband Shane worked at the U.S. Consulate here, and now Shane is left in a foreign country, figuring out how to get home while working through his grief and caring for their 2-year old son and 9-month old daughter.

My heart is breaking because I never told her! I never told her that Jesus is the only real reason for living. I tried to be a good friend, and we talked about spiritual things a bit. They came to church with us once, and seemed to like it OK. We got together fairly frequently for playdates with the kids, and just last Thursday we met for coffee. I had so many opportunities, but I thought it wasn’t the right moment to present the Gospel directly; I thought there was still time ahead. And now I can’t even offer Shane the comfort of knowing where his wife is.

Please pray for Shane, and for little Alex and Sydney without their mommy. Pray that God would bring good out of this painful loss, and bring their family to Himself. I know that God IS sovereign, and He can reach people even when we fail to let Him use us as we should. Pray that I will be bold with each friend and neighbor God brings across my path, and that I won’t let opportunities pass by. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this, too, unfortunately. I was working in New Mexico and a co-worker, known for his weekends of drinking and partying, asked me why I always seemed at peace and full of joy. It took me by surprise! No one had ever asked me a question like that before. I stammered out my answers, knowing full well his question could be answered simply and directly. By the time I shared about my relationship with Christ, the impact was gone.

A very short time later (maybe a week?), he and another co-worker were involved in a deadly crash; they were both intoxicated. I never saw him again. All he wanted to know was how he, too, could have peace and joy. I missed a golden opportunity--one that I NEVER want to pass up again.

Oh, how precious God's forgiveness becomes at times like these! The good that can come from it is a greater boldness to proclaim His truth "in season and out of season."